UPDATE: India can have Headley in about 300 years, because we can't have our intelligence assets/terrorists being held accountable and blabbing what they know. he might have to meet a sudden accidental death.
NEW DELHI: The FBI has politely turned down India’s request for extradition of terror suspect David Headley to this country on the ground he will have to first undergo a sentence which could be imposed on him in the US for the offences committed if convicted.
Indian officials were told there was no realistic possibility of the Pakistani-American being handed over since the sentence could range between 200 and 300 years of imprisonment.
The US stand was conveyed to the Indian investigators by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officials during their regular interaction to discuss the case related to Headley, whose links with the banned Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) were being probed by the two countries, official sources said here today.
The polite turning down of the Indian request for extradition of 49-year-old Headley, arrested in Chicago on October three last, came in the wake of repeated statements including that by Union Home Secretary G K Pilai that India would press for the extradition of the terror suspect.
Pillai had said earlier that India will seek his extradition after completing investigation by January next year into his links with the Mumbai terror attacks.
However, FBI seems to be in no mood to hand over him to India and very politely conveyed that he could be handed over once the sentence ranging to 300 years is completed. He can also be sentenced to death, the sources said.
Headley has been charged by the FBI for 26/11 attacks in Mumbai also on December seven. He is alleged to have conducted reconnaissance of all targets attacked by Lashker militants on November 26 last year besides drawing the routemap for their landing on the Mumbai coast.
via there are no sunglasses
original source: times of india
1. Kasab said signature taken on blank piece of paper
Friday, December 25, 2009
NEW DELHI: Ajmal Kasab, under-trial in the Mumbai terror attacks, on the fourth consecutive day on Thursday denied all the charges framed against him in the case.
He told the 26/11 trial judge, ML Tahiliyani, in Mumbai that his signature was taken on a blank sheet of paper by the Indian police with regard to his confessional statement. “The confession recorded by magistrate was not read out to me and it does not contain the truth,” he said.
He again told the special Mumbai court that he did not arrive in Mumbai by fishing trawler, Kuber, but by the Samjhauta Express. He also denied that he had talked to Abu Hamza by a satellite phone. “If I had talked to him, then my voice would have been recorded,” he said. When asked about Abu Ismail, Kasab said: “Who is he, I do not know... I was not with him.”
source: international news
2. latest twist to Karkare's missing jacket
The mystery over what happened to the missing bulletproof jacket of slain Maharashtra Police's Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare, has just got deeper.
On Tuesday, Dinesh Gattar, a sweeper at the J J Hospital in Mumbai, had told a Mumbai court that he found Karkare's jacket the morning after the 26/11 attacks. Karkare's body was brought to this hospital for an autopsy.
Then police sources had told NDTV that Gattar had thrown away the jacket into a disposable bag and sent it off to the Deonar dumping ground. But on Friday, Gattar exclusively told NDTV that he hasn't done that. Instead he had found the jacket and put it aside even informing a hospital nurse about it.
"I did not dispose the jacket. I just put it aside. We segregate waste into black bag and red bags. When I was doing that I saw the jacket and placed it aside," Gattar said.
Gattar's statement comes just days after the Mumai police almost gave up on finding the jacket. Some even claimed that Gattar might have even sold the jacket for money.
"I have not sold it. The judge asked me and I told him this," Gattar clarified.
Hemant Karkare, the chief of Maharashtra's Anti Terror Squad, was killed on 26/11 outside Cama Hospital, along with assistant police commissioner Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar. Karkare's bulletproof jacket was never found. A public interest litigation has alleged that the jackets worn by Karkare and others were defective. A court is trying to determine if a sub-standard consignment was indeed, delivered to the police, either accidentally or deliberately.
The late ATS chief's wife, Kavita Karkare, who has been leading the campaign to trace the jacket says she has little hope of it ever being found. "I know they may never find the jacket but my struggle will go on so that no one else goes through what I have undergone," she said.
The Mumbai police claims it is still trying its best to find the jacket and has questioned over 80 staffers at the hospital. Claims that only the appearance of the jacket might help support.
3. Mumbai: further evidence of Anglo - American - Mossad - RSS nexus
Intelligent people--what do you have to say now? It is becoming obvious that...
1. Several terrorists might have been white
2. Were they International mercanaries? If yes, then from which country? Who collected them? It is well known that Mossad and CIA have several mercenary organizations, including so-called Jihadi ones on their list. They create Jihad and manipulate Muslims disaffected by the Islamophobia in the world. Some of them might have been used in the Mumbai attack. But why were they carrying American, British, Mauritian and Malaysian passports?
3. Who were the Marathi speaking Karkare killers? The lane next to the Cama Hospital is a deserted one--it goes straight to the backyard of the Mumbai CID Headquarters. Anonymous sources in the Police have revealed that Karkare was taken there, by a joint team of anti-Karkare, pro-Hindutva Mumbai Police officers, and Chota Rajan men. Now Karkare was opposed to Chota Rajan. Salaskar was anti-Pradeep Sharma, another Mumbai senior Police officer now in jail, for working as Rajan's shooter. So the Marathi speaking terrorists could either have been Jews with some connection to Mumbai--or hired killers of the Hindutva brigade or men of Chota Rajan.
4. It seems that several things went on simultaneously--the Mahrashtra Chief Minister Vilas Rao Deshmukh was in Kerala when the Mumbai attack began at 9.30 PM on 26th November. Then by 11PM Deshmukh had informed the Home Minister Shivraj Patil--the latter has started proceedings to send the NSG Commandos. So Deshmukh knew about what was happening by 11PM--then why was there no Mumbai Police on various locations between 9.30 and 1am, the time when Karkare arrived? The Mumbai ATS is a separate organization. it does not lead the Mumbai Police. So the 40,000 strong Mumbai Police was absent from the scene of action between 11pm to 1am and then Karkare arrived and he was killed along with his men!
Isn't there something fishy here? Obviously the Mumbai Police was kept deliberately away between 11pm and 1am, the time period when terrorists were killing people merrily. Then Karkare must have been told--and he went there expecting Mumbai police personals to be there--but there were none or only a few! And he was killed!
read more @ countercurrents
4. sleaze in India
The video grab shows three women aged between 17 and 25 and an elderly man. An Old Man and Sleaze Tape - Tiwari Saga
read more @ aangirfan
5. so far the evidence points to police corruption and a lot of discrepancies in the Mumbai story. thus Kasab must be discredited by the establishment -- it is imperative:
After getting into denial mode, gunman Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab on Thursday sought to use counter questioning as a method of retracting his statement given before a magistrate in the 26/11 case.
The special sessions court was reading out to him an account of the activities of the terrorists on board the trawler ‘Kuber,’ their landing on Mumbai’s shore and the massacre at the Chhatrapati Shivaji rail terminus, as stated in his confession. Kasab continued to deny everything.
“You called [Abu] Hamza on the satellite phone,” the court asked Kasab.
“What’s a satellite phone?” the lone surviving gunman queried.
“You suggested to Abu Ismail that Kuber’s navigator should be finished off.” “Who I?”
When such replies continued, judge M.L. Tahaliyani said: “You are asking me questions [when I am the one supposed to be doing that].”
When Mr. Tahaliyani asked Kasab what was the distance from where the police shot at him in the hand in custody, he demonstrated how his face was turned in the opposite direction when the shots were fired.
The court has completed, up to 95 per cent, the recording of Kasab’s statement under Section 313 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. It will resume hearing on January 6, 2010.
The court meanwhile issued a show-cause notice to Mumbai Mirror, a tabloid, for carrying a distorted version of the proceedings.
A news report about a lacuna in the probe said the court had “reprimanded” special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam for shoddy investigation, when that was not the case. Mr. Tahaliyani only pointed to an aspect of the investigation, where a piece of writing had not been probed. He commented before Mr. Nikam that the investigators should have explored the angle. When Mr. Nikam objected to the report, saying it purposely maligned his image, and moved an application, the court ordered the newspaper to give an explanation by January 6 next.
source: the hindu