3.19.2009

Goldman has enough money to lead buy-out of Japan's Universal Studio's theme park

Hmm. Maybe it's me, and I just don't understand. But isn't this kind of like claiming you can't feed your children, begging for handouts, and then going to buy a jet-ski or something? WTF? I mean, I could be wrong, but it just seems unseemly to me. - Ed.

TOKYO, March 19 (Reuters) - USJ Co Ltd (2142.T), the operator of Japan's Universal Studios theme park, said on Thursday it will go private in a 111.2 billion yen ($1.16 billion) buyout led by a Goldman Sachs (GS.N) fund.

USJ is held about 40 percent by Crane Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of Goldman Sachs.

Crane's 100 percent-owned unit will offer 50,000 yen per share to buy the remaining 60 percent between March 23 and May 21 as well as its new share rights. ($1=95.99 Yen) (Reporting by Nathan Layne)

Reuters

No comments: