2.10.2009

Is Zionism the New N-Word?

I was leaving a comment on an OpEd News article the other day and an odd message came up when I tried to submit it. The message asked me to think twice about my use of the word Zionism. In very friendly terms it informed me that the use of the word Zionism can be hurtful, offensive and hateful and asked me to please consider using another word.

I write this article because I think that this nuanced language policy should have the widest possible review. Among the many evils in the world high on the list should rank the way that words are manipulated and controlled. I don't want to suggest that I definitively know which words should be used and how, but I certainly have a strong reaction when I am asked to curtail the use of what until now has been a perfectly acceptable word.

Read more @ SOTT

No comments: