8.18.2009

the travails of small business doom the economy

Over time, the travails of small business will doom the U.S. economy. One of the recurring themes here is the largely zero-coverage-by-the-MSM erosion of small business in the U.S. via hamhanded over-regulation and over-taxation. Correspondent Robert D. provided this first-hand account of why businesses either never get off the ground or fail shortly after opening.
You often mention the excessive burdens placed on small business by our friends in City Hall, the various State Capitals and D.C. I thought I might add my anecdote to the mess. A few years ago my wife, 2 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 2 gerbils and I moved to a picturesque small town on the Pacific Coast with a large historic district where my wife had a job offer at the local hospital. I found work as a chef at the population center 1 hour+ commute each way by car, ferry and shoe. After a couple of years of 10-12 hour days plus the commute I was getting burned out. So when the new owner of a local boutique hotel asked for proposals for a restaurant to replace the failing "Gifte Shoppe" in his ground floor commercial space, I jumped on it. We shook hands on a sweetheart deal lease-wise as long as he did not have to contribute to any build-out costs. That's when the fun began.

read more @ charles hugh smith

No comments: